last revised: 1/7/05
To display the Greek text contained
in this page, download and install the free BSTGreek from Bible Study Tools. The Greek text is based
upon the United Bible Societies The Greek New Testament, fourth revised
edition. By "Exegetical Issues" is intended the historical
issues in understanding the meaning of the periocope. In the discussion
for Exegeting a Text from the Greek New Testament, the primary focus
for this segment will be on steps 3, 5 and 6. Steps 1, 2 and 4 are treated
under Rhetorical Issues since they focus on the literary
aspects of the pericope. Don't forget
to use the online sources available in iPreach (above hyperlink) as important
In answering the following questions, explore
both the signals emerging internally from both the Praescriptio and the
document generally. Then explore the history of interpretation beginning
with the church fathers.
1. Who was responsibile for the composition of this document?
Who wrote it?
When was it written?
From where was it written?
To whom was it written?
Map 1: Colossae
Map 2: Asia
Pictures of Colossae
2. What prompted the writing of this document?
What is the nature of the teaching opposed
by this document?
3. What is the relationship of this document to those in the "Prison
Letters" of Paul?
4. What is the relationship of this document to Ephesians?
5. What is the relationship of this document to Philemon?
6. What is the theological perspective set forth in this document?
a division of
All rights reserved©